I know what you’re thinking – a holistic nutritionist is telling me I can eat a creamy dreamy potato salad?! The answer is YES, and there are a few reasons for that:
1. This potato salad is unlike your conventional potato salad, which contains all whole food ingredients that will actually nourish you and leave you feeling satiated and free of cravings
2. I’m a big believer in giving our body what it wants and needs
Our body is one intelligent being; it truly knows what it wants and needs. If we just stop and listen to it and give it what it’s asking of us, it will thank us. It’s when we ignore it or suppress its desires, it screams at us through symptoms or uncontrollable cravings.
It’s said those who crave chocolate (I’m raising my hand sky high over here) might be deficient in magnesium. It’s suggested that those people load up on raw cacao/nibs, beans, nuts and seeds and dark leafy greens. While I was dreaming up this potato salad, I must’ve been craving something savoury and slightly salty which can often be a sign of a chloride deficiency. If you’re feeling like you’re in the same boat (which I’m guessing you might be since you landed on this page), it’s suggested to load up on foods like celery, olives, tomato, kelp and Himalayan sea salt!
By the same token, sometimes our desires for food can come from other places too. Do you find yourself itching for a beer on a patio when that hot sunny weather hits? Of course, you do! You can thank your dear friend and “reward centre” neurotransmitter, dopamine for that one.
Wherever my desire to create and share this Turmeric Curry Potato Salad came from, all I know is that you’re going to love this tasty and nourishing take on your classic potato salad. It’s not often that I eat white potatoes (I’m definitely a sweet potato kinda gal) since they can interfere with our blood sugar levels and aren’t as nutritious as their counterpart, sweet potato! To keep them blood sugar-friendly, it’s best to consume them with fat or protein (food combining rules aside) to slow down the release of glucose (sugar) in your system. I imagine you might be enjoying this alongside a juicy grass-fed organic burger or black bean burger with freshly sliced avocado, right? Thought so!
I also made a point to weasel some turmeric in here. Why? Because turmeric goes amazingly in almost everything, from dairy-free lattes to stir-fry. Almost everyone knows turmeric by now for its anti-inflammatory properties, but what about its ability to provide relief for joint pain, or repair stem cells in the brain, or even delay the new and upcoming epidemic, type 2 diabetes? There’s truly nothing turmeric can’t do!
Go on and bring this beauty to your next summer potluck or BBQ – then get all weird on everyone and tell them what their cravings really mean! 😂
Turmeric Curry Potato Salad
- 6 small-medium red potatoes, halved
- 5 boiled eggs,chopped.
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into thin slices
- 1/2 cup plain kefir or plain coconut yogurt
- 3 tbsp curry
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (depending on your liking)
- sea salt, to taste
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Put halved potatoes in and boil for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender.
- In a separate pot, place in eggs and cover with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to low heat and set a timer for 8 minutes.
- Remove both potatoes and boiled eggs burner and strain (separately). Rinse with cold water and place potatoes in an ice/cold water bath and eggs in a bowl covered with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Once cool, chop potatoes and boiled eggs into bite size pieces and place into a mixing bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together kefir or coconut yogurt, curry, turmeric and sea salt. Pour mixture over potatoes.
- Add in onions, boiled eggs and cilantro and mix.
- Serve as a side to any entree of your choice.
What’s your favourite dish to bring to a potluck or summer BBQ?