Ha! Got ya! You thought I said Peanut Butter & Jelly, didn’t you? Even if you didn’t and saw Peanut Butter & Veggie as written, you’re a brave soul for clicking onwards– kudos! As a treat, I’ll make a mental note to create a healthified Peanut Butter & Jelly creation for you one day. Sound good? Can we still be friends?
Look, I don’t know about you, but I’m having one of those look-in-the-fridge-50-times-and-can’t-find-anything-to-eat kind of days. Days like today don’t strike often (usually I can pull something together after staring at the fridge for a solid 5 minutes), but when they do, it can be rather frightening. Have you ever met hangry Rachel?
Good. You don’t want to.
What I’ve realized over the years of reliving this devastating moment over and over is that simplicity is key! I know people say this to you all the time, but I promise – when you can shift your mindset and be flexible, the beauty begins!
I still remember a time around my eating disorder years when I really wanted to go to the gym the following morning but my Mom’s car wasn’t available. My Mom and her friend were telling me to relax and not worry about going for one day. They continued to say things like “sway like a palm tree”, “just roll with it”, which naturally just made my blood boil more. I was a rigid young soul and though I’m not proud to say it, I’m still working on letting go of those tendencies. Progress not perfection, right?
That was a tangent!
Point being, I’m going to throw that “sway like a palm tree” line back at you right now because life isn’t always going to go our way and we need to know how to adapt.
So what do you do when you look at an empty fridge and have a mini freak out because your blood sugar is low and if you don’t get food in you in 2 seconds you’re going to faint/freak out/bite someone’s head off?
You get creative (and have fun doing it!)
This is what I came up with. Note that you can sub in even more fun ingredients like purple cabbage, sprouted tofu, organic scrambled egg, sprouts and beyond (unless of course, peanut butter floats your boat just fine!)
Makes 4 rice paper fresh rolls
- 4 rice paper rolls
- 2 romaine lettuce leafs, sliced horizontally in quarters
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1/3 cucumber, julienned
- 3 tbsp organic peanut butter
- 1/4 cup tamari
- Prepare a bowl or high dish with warm or boiling water
- Wash all produce and prepare accordingly
- Dip rice wrap into water for 20 seconds. Make sure it is submerged under water at all times.
- Take rice wrap out of water and shake as much water as possible off. Place rice paper wrap on clean cutting board.
- Line the middle of the rice paper wrap with 2 small pieces of romaine lettuce. Pile 4-5 slices of cucumber and 4-5 slices of carrot on top. Drizzle peanut butter on top.
- Roll from the bottom up, tucking in the sides along the way and finish rolling until it’s a tight cylinder.
- Repeat same step for remaining 3 rice wraps.
- Enjoy with tamari or alternate preferred sauce*
*Note: Most store-bought sauces contain a lot of sugar and unhealthy ingredients. If you choose to enjoy another sauce, please read the ingredients on the label carefully or make your own!
And just like that – with just a little bit of thought and a lot of simplicity, you can make healthy, delicious choices!
What’s one of your favourite foods to turn to when you’re “hangry”?